SIX TIPS FOR HEALTHY SKIN
Skin is the body’s largest organ, so it’s important to take good care of it. Given all the skincare options we see in ads and on the store shelves, it can seem like an overwhelming task. But in reality, a good skincare routine requires just a few simple habits that can keep skin healthy and looking its best.
1. Wash your face every day and after exercising, using a mild cleanser and lukewarm water.
2. Protect your skin by wearing a broad-spectrum, water-resistant sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or higher. Seek shade and wear protective clothing when out in the sun.
3. Lock in moisture by applying lotion or cream while your skin is still damp after a shower or bath. It’s especially important to moisturize your hands if frequent hand-washing makes your skin dry, since dry skin actually increases your risk of picking up germs. Apply cream or ointment while your hands are still slightly damp, and work some of the moisturizer into your fingertips and nails. If you’re using hand sanitizer, apply cream or lotion as soon as the sanitizer dries.
4. Examine your skin regularly for any unusual spots, changing moles, or itching or bleeding. These can be early warning signs of cancer; if they don’t clear up on their own, see your primary care physician or one of our Board Certified Plastic Surgeons. When caught early, many skin abnormalities can be treated before they become cancerous.
5. Eat a healthy diet, including foods that promote healthier skin. Low-fat dairy products are a great source of Vitamin A, which promotes cell growth. High-antioxidant foods such as blackberries, blueberries, strawberries and plums can protect skin cells. Omega-3 fatty acids, found in fish, walnuts, and flaxseed oil, make for healthy cell membranes that help cells hold moisture (contributing to younger looking skin).
6. Quit smoking. Smoking narrows blood vessels in the skin’s outer layer, which robs skin of the nutrients and oxygen it needs to stay healthy.
The right daily habits can go a long way towards keeping your skin healthy. Once you’ve got a routine in place, treat yourself to some extra TLC. Pure Medical Spa offers a variety of treatments , from microneedling to facials to chemical peels and more. We also carry a full line of skin care prevention and treatment products. Contact us to schedule an appointment.